CPS teachers work hard in their classrooms to deliver impressive educational results, and we want to make sure they have the chance to apply for a unique and rewarding fellowship.

Since 2014, Stanford University has offered high school teachers from across the country an outstanding professional development opportunity called the Hollyhock Fellowship. Since its inception, CPS has had more teaching teams than any other district in the nation participate, with our teachers bringing back valuable insight and inspiration.

The deadline to apply is January 16, 2017.

Why pursue the Hollyhock Fellowship? Here’s what CPS teachers say:

This fellowship has been one of the most transformative opportunities of my career. The sessions on using math instruction as a tool for social justice were particularly inspiring, as was the focus on promoting equity throughout our schools. Hollyhock pushes educators to be better by promoting the growth that is necessary for success in our profession. And two weeks in sunny Palo Alto, California definitely sweetens the deal.

-Shana Pierce, Wendell Phillips Academy

The Hollyhock Fellowship was the most useful and intellectually engaging professional development experience I’ve had as a teacher. It connected me with teachers from across the country, who I continue to collaborate with and learn from. These peers have helped me approach my work from new perspectives and with new energy. The fellowship allowed me to gain tangible resources like lesson plans and teaching strategies, but more importantly, it inspired and rejuvenated me as an educator.  

-Jamie Keith, Roberto Clemente Community Academy

I’ve always been intrigued by professional development that will help me improve my practice as a classroom teacher. What captured my attention about the Hollyhock Fellowship was the chance to learn from renowned leaders in education on the prestigious Stanford University campus. This opportunity is grounded solely in teacher development. Learning is activated, trust is established, and you leave inspired to bring what you’ve learned back to your school.

-Amber Henderson, Wendell Phillips Academy

Some benefits of the two-year Hollyhock Fellowship include:

• Two weeks of training each summer on the campus of Stanford University, complete with lodging, food, and travel reimbursement
  • A biannual stipend of $1,000
  • The chance to build relationships with educational leaders
  • Collaboration with other high school teachers from around the country
  • Monthly coaching sessions throughout the school year
  • Continuing education credits
  • Guidance on identifying and improving in equity within school communities.

A project of the Stanford University Center to Support Excellence in Teaching (CSET), the Hollyhock Fellowship seeks to help retain teachers in high-need schools across the country. Fellows are selected in teams of three to five teachers from the same school.

The application deadline is January 16, 2017.

For more information and to apply, visit cset.stanford.edu/pd/hollyhock.