This was a big week for Haines Elementary. We were honored by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) for being named a National Title I Distinguished School in 2017. Check out the video we submitted to showcase who we are:

The Title I Award recognizes schools for their consistent academic growth, or for closing the achievement gap among at-risk students. It is awarded to just 100 schools across the country each year, so is a testament to the exceptional work of the staff and students at Haines.

Team Haines at the award ceremony.

We received the 2017 Title I Award for achieving exceptional student performance over two or more years. The credit goes first to our students, who have put in the hard work, as well as to their families, who have supported them every step of the way. I also want to thank the talented teachers at Haines, who work diligently to meet each student’s unique needs, and my fellow school leaders, who help to ensure that the Title I funds received by Haines are used to move our community forward.

Haines will close out the month by being honored at the National Title I Conference on February.