Celebrating a College-Going Culture

Today, I received a photo from Goode High School’s principal Armando Rodriguez that made me really happy. It was a photo of six seniors that just earned their Associate’s Degree from City College while still attending Goode!

I want to take a moment to celebrate students who have taken full advantage of our dual-credit programs, and earned college credits while attending high school. Thousands of these ambitious scholars are setting themselves up for a smoother path to college, career, and life.

Our goal is to provide every student with a path to college that is both attainable and affordable. We’ve had a lot of help with this, including support from Mayor Emanuel, who has challenged us to have 50 percent of all of our students graduate with at least one college or career credential by 2019.

I’m confident we can get there. When I visit our schools, I see students and teachers in university t-shirts, and hallways papered with college acceptance letters. I hear students talking about what they’re going to study “when”, not “if”, they get to college, and have observed more students than ever enrolling in AP, IB, STEM, CTE and dual-credit opportunities.

Our elementary schools are also contributing to a building a school culture that normalizes college and emphasizes the accessibility of college to every student regardless of zipcode or background.

Thank you Morrill Math & Science School for inviting us to celebrate college week!

Posted by Chicago Public Schools on Thursday, April 6, 2017

Our schools now exude a college-going culture, which shows that our investments in post-secondary planning, along with the work of our educators and the commitment of our partners, have created a positive shift toward higher education. We understand now that graduation is just a stepping stone, and it is our responsibility to make sure students have a plan for what comes next.

By Janice K. Jackson, EdD, Chief Education Officer, Chicago Public Schools

By | May 19th, 2017|

Leave A Comment