DISTRICT | August 31, 2018
It’s back to school time! We’re so excited to begin another year with you.
CPS students are excelling in the classroom, and the country is taking notice. A recent study by acclaimed education researcher and Stanford University professor Sean Reardon found that our children are growing at a faster pace than those in almost any other school district in the country. This study shows our students receiving six years of instruction in just five years of school, which is a reflection of our talented teachers and school leaders.
In order to build on this momentum, it is critically important to have all students in class on the first day. Attendance is very important to your child’s academic progress. Research tells us that kids who are in class on the first day will have better attendance throughout the entire school year, and students who attend class regularly fare better than their peers.
Here are some things that you need to know to be ready for the first day.
- Students and accompanying adults can RIDE FOR FREE on CTA buses and trains on the first day of school.
- Check out our 2018 Back to School page. There’s vital information to help prepare your family for the new school year including enrollment information and Immunization form.
- Sign up for the Parent Portal to view your child’s grades and attendance.
- For school hours and information, please visit the CPS Profile Pages.
- For charter school start dates, download the 2018 Charter schools schedule.
Also, in case you missed it, we have some new guidelines for students to ensure their safety at school and online.
- Check out our Student Code of Conduct.
- We updated our Acceptable Use of Technology Policy to address the use of mobile devices and social media platforms for students and staff.
We also launched an Office of Student Protections and Title IX, our long-term commitment to ensure students are in safe learning environments, free of sexual violence, harassment and discrimination.
Students and parents will also see some big improvements beginning this school year. We announced a nearly $1 billion proposed FY19 capital plan that would build on nearly $4 billion CPS has invested in schools since 2011. Some of our improvements include upgrading/renovating science labs; providing students to equitable access to modern technology; offering universal full-day Pre-K; alleviating overcrowding; and adding additional classroom space. Here’s a breakdown of how we’re investing in our school communities. Check out our Resident’s Guide to the Budget.
We’re really excited to start the new year with you, and we’re going to be traveling to schools all across Chicago during the first week to shout out students, teachers, and schools so make sure you follow our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.